North Rode Parish Council
The first Parish Council meeting was held in the School Room, North Rode on the 20th March, 1936. Mr Mark Winder was elected Chairman. Today Parish Council meeting continue to be held in the same School Room of Daintry Hall.
North Rode Village History
The village of North Rode developed at the point where the River Dane could be crossed at Colley Mill. The mill used the power of the river for milling and with many paths leading to it, was a source of income for the manor owners.
The earliest reference to North Rode (Rodo) is in the Domesday Book. The section, translated from Latin, reads:
‘The same BIGOT holds RODO. BERNULF held it, and was a free man. There is half a hide rateable to the gelt. The land is ii. carucates. It was waste, and so found. In KING EDWARD’S time it was worth viii. shillings. There is a wood i. league long and half a league broad.’
After Bigot, North Rode passed to the Lords of Arden and Aldford, the Mainwarings of Warmingham, and their successors the Trussels. During the reign of Edward II in 1309 the Prince of Wales granted the owners rights to enclose and cultivate the wastes of the manor of Rode.
For the next two hundred years ownership remained with the Trussels until 1510 , when Elizabeth Trussell, aged 13, married the Earl of Oxford (Veres). From the Veres it eventually passed to the Crewes of Crewe. Then in c.1808 John, Lord Crewe, sold the manor to Michael Daintry whose family owned silk mills and had moved into banking; so began the Daintry Family era when North Rode developed rapidly.
The Daintry development of North Rode began with The Grange and its home farm, Bell Farm c.1810. Other model farms, including Dobford, quickly followed.
A school established by bequests and deeds from 1780 was moved into the purpose built school, now called Daintry Hall, in 1835. The school closed in 1969 and together with the School House were given to the Parish of North Rode by the Daintry family.
St. Michael’s Church was consecrated in 1846. Other developments included the Macclesfield Canal passing through in 1831, closely followed by the Railway in 1848. North Rode retained its Station, the narrowest platform on the Staffordshire line, until it closed in 1965.
The Daintry estate (1,600 acres) was sold at auction in April 1923 and included 17 stock, dairy and cheese-making farms. Many tenants bought their properties, so that dairy farming continued to be the dominant form of employment for residents. However, within the past decade all working dairy farms in North Rode ceased milk production in their own right, with a small number now renting land to farms from neighbouring areas.
(North Rode Parish Plan 2011)